welcome

lus.cious adjective

1. highly pleasing to the taste or smell


Welcome to Luscious Low Carb! A place where low carb recipes are the only thing on the menu. A place where you'll find incredibly delicious food that's simple to make and legal to eat on your plan.

So come in, take a seat and enjoy your stay!

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Low Carb Batter Fried Fish

I had been craving some fried fish for a while. I have a recipe for a simple breading that I love but I was looking for a batter fried fish. So I came up with this recipe and it was fabulous! It was exactly what I was looking for. The batter is light and adds great taste and texure to the fish. I bet this would be excellent on shrimp or even chicken! Long John Silvers Who!?









Ingredients:

For the batter:

6 tbsp coconut flour (I used Bob's Red Bill Organic, but you can use whatever you have on hand)
4 eggs
1/4 cup half and half
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp baking powder
salt and pepper to taste

1 lb fish, I used Tilapia but you could use Catfish or whatever is your favorite fish

oil for deep frying


Directions:

1. Preheat oil for deep frying
2. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy, add the coconut flour and mix, add the onion powder, garlic powder, baking powder salt and pepper. Let the batter rest for 5 minutes before using it. It will thicken up nicely.
3. Dip the fish into the batter and drop into the hot oil or deep fryer
4. Fry until golden brown and cooked though about 5 minutes depending of the thickness of the fish
6. Repeat until all of the fish is done, if you have any leftover batter drop in some onion rings!
I served mine with finely shredded lettuce, lemon wedges, and my tartar sauce


Make sure the fish is dry before you dip it in the batter. If it has moisture the batter won't stick as well as it should.

Coconut flour is very thirsty, it soaks up alot of moisture so this amount, even though it seems to be small is perfect for the amount of half and half and eggs. It won't be as thick or crispy as the high carb white flour batter, but I promise it's very good. I had a high carb batter fish lover sample it and they thought it was delicious and had seconds!

There is no coconut taste to the batter. It's very light and crisp no coconut taste at all.


The carb count for the whole batch of batter is 19.72. I got to batter 1 lb of fish which was 7 fish fillets. Assuming 7 servings per batch each piece would have 2.8 Net carbs.
Thats pretty good considering one piece of high carb batter fried fish has 17 carbs!

21 comments:

  1. I recently made pork tonkatsu and found that my homemade coconut flour works wonderfully as "breading". I dipped the pork in beaten egg, dredged with the flour then repeat. The breading stuck to the pork and didn't fall off. I might try this mixing the flour with the egg but my flour isn't as dry as the commercial one. But I would try this definitely. I love battered fish :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dee,
    I saw your blog and all your recent post look great! I think I'm going to try breading some pork chops they way you did and see how they come out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried your fish batter last night and it was a big hit with my family. I used light cream instead of 1/2 and 1/2 (it was all I had), and thinned it out with a bit of water. Worked fine. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm craving fish and chips...have tried celery root "chips" so now for the fish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine turned out way too thick. I added more and more water & cream but it was still really thick. I ended up making it work out decently. I don't know what I did wrong. But it was still tasty. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm assuming you add the half and half to the rest of the batter ingredients? It doesn't say in the recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm assuming you add the half and half to the rest of the batter ingredients? It doesn't say in the recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What kind and how much oil do you use? Can I use ghee

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great recipe! It made the best fish I've had since I started LC. You definitely want the batter more runny - the drier it was, the less it stuck to the fish. On the good side, the extra bits of batter that fall off get wonderfully crispy. I reserved about 1 TB of extra batter and fried it up on its own and it rather like a fritter,. I'm thinking of trying a sweetened batch without the garlic and onion, to see if it comes out like a donut.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! As someone from a Scottish family battered foods are quite common and this is amazing! Made my fish and chips craving ease perfectly. I used it on pollock fillets and did radish hash browns to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Any way to make it in a frying pan? I don't have a deep fryer.


    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! You are right about the flour. Coconut flour is so thirsty, I had to add a bit of water.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The part about the half n half is missing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok a quarter cup half and half of WHAT? Cream and water?

    ReplyDelete
  15. making it now.. :-\ Not crispy at all. This one doesn't work for me - I'm a fan of the light and crispy batter. Def needs no cream and some almond flour I think.. ah well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ..it's like a piece of haddock, covered in a soggy dark brown pancake!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I tried this last week but made the mistake of using the fryer basket to lower the fish into the hot oil, so the batter stuck to the basket and left the fish bare on one side. Just now I put the battered fish straight into the oil, then once it was semi-cooked I used the basket to press the fish down. It worked perfectly, and my husband said the fish was great! The jicama fries I did before the fish were rather brown, but at least they were done this time, better than in the microwave.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You left the half and half out of the instructions and never either acknowledged or corrected ot. Fail. I'll be looking elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete