Craving some mexican food? Maybe some tender juicy fajitas with grilled onions and jalapenos smothered in cheese? I thought so! This recipe is super easy and will cure your Mexican food blues! Plus this is waaaaaayyyy better tasting and much much cheaper than take out. Enjoy!
1 1/2 lbs fajitas, cut in strips against the grain
7 oz (half a package) of smoked beef sausage (I used Hillshire Farms brand) sliced in rounds
half a medium onion, sliced in strips
2 jalapenos, sliced in strips
1 cup muenster, pepperjack, or monterey jack cheese (I used muenster)
1/2 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp olive oil
lime wedges and avocado to serve, optional
1. Heat a large saute pan on medium heat. Add 1 tbsp olive oil.
2. Add fajitas. Add salt, pepper, and cumin. Cook until fajitas are cooked but not browned, about 10-12 minutes.
3. While the fajitas cook, in a separate small pan heat remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil and add onions and jalapenos. Cook on medium heat until grilled and golden brown. About 10 minutes.
4. Move fajitas to side of the pan and add sausage. Cook for 5 minutes until fajitas and sausage are golden brown.
5. Stir in half a cup of the cheese into the pan with the fajitas and the sausage.
6. Serve fajitas on a plate and top with onion/jalapeno mixture and remaining cheese. Serve with a wedge of lime and avocado (optional and NOT included in the carb counts)
The carb count may vary and be less or more depending on what kind/brand of sausage you use.
This recipe yields 4 servings with 3.47 Net carbs each.
This would be great served with my Spicy avocado salsa or my Fresh Mexican salsa