welcome

lus.cious adjective

1. highly pleasing to the taste or smell


Welcome to Luscious Low Carb! A place where low carb recipes are the only thing on the menu. A place where you'll find incredibly delicious food that's simple to make and legal to eat on your plan.

So come in, take a seat and enjoy your stay!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Alice Springs Chicken

When I used to frequent restaurants very often, my favorite dish at Outback Steakhouse was their Alice Springs Chicken. A grilled chicken breast topped with Monterey Jack cheese, bacon, sauteed mushrooms, and a honey mustard sauce. Last night I created my own version and I must say I was rather impressed with myself. I think my version tasted a lot better than theirs and with much less carbs too! Enjoy!









Ingredients:

4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half for two thin pieces of chicken per breast
4 slices of thick cut bacon, each piece cut into two pieces
4 slices of Monterey Jack cheese OR 1 cup of shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
6 large mushrooms, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp oilve oil


Honey Mustard Sauce:

1/2 cup of Mayo
5 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp sour cream
4 teaspoons of Splenda (I used liquid for less carbs)
2 tbsp heavy cream
pinch of salt

The sauce makes a little over a cup. You won't use all of it in this recipe, but you can store the rest covered in a plastic container in the fridge for up to a week. The sauce is really good! It would go great as a dip for veggies, low carb chicken tenders, or thinned out with a little extra heavy cream for a delicious salad dressing!


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 F
2. In a large frying pan over medium high heat, add olive oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste and cook until cooked through and golden brown. (I did mine in several batches)
3. In a separate pan cook bacon until crispy. Remove bacon to paper towel lined plate. Add mushrooms to the pan with the bacon grease and sautee until cooked. Remove mushrooms to paper towel lined plate with the bacon
4. To make the sauce: Mix all the ingredients for the sauce in a medium bowl, and set aside
5. In a baking sheet or pan, place the chicken breast, top each piece with one piece of bacon, half a slice of Monterey Jack cheese, mushrooms, and drizzle with the honey mustard sauce.
6. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.

I served mine with Garlic and Herb "rice"  Very simple, I just added 3 tbsp of my Garlic and Herb Compound Butter to my Perfect Steamed Cauli Rice and Ta-Da! A super simple super yummy side! You could also steam some veggies, broccoli, zucchini, cauliflower, and top with the compound butter.


This recipe yields 4 servings of two pieces of chicken each.

Each serving has 2.3 Net carbs

Please note the carb count is only for the chicken dish, not any sides. It is also calculated with liquid Splenda.

7 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! Going to have to tell hubby my grocery budget is going out the window this week. ;) Seriously, though, I only need the cheese. Going to get some tomorrow! Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is fantastic. I've been a low carb fan for many years. Great photos and wonderful assortment of dishes. Nice write ups too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mimi: I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I did! :)


    Carol: Thank you so much for the compliment! I'm glad you enjoy my little blog. I have always liked to cook, but since low carbing it has become my passion :) I love converting high carb recipes to low carb and I love preparing, cooking, and presenting the food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was awesome! I made it last night and it was a hint. I also had it as a leftover for lunch today. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy you enjoyed this Dawn! Thanks for letting me know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Made this tonight. The boy ate everything but the shrooms (I think he's a pod-person, or was switched in the hospital). Me and the girl devoured it. OMG, that flavor. I have found my new favorite baked chicken dish. This pwns alfredo IMO. <3!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mimi!
    LOL @ your son being a pod-person *giggle*

    I'm so happy that you liked it! The flavors really do go very well together.

    Thank you for letting me know! <3

    ReplyDelete