welcome

lus.cious adjective

1. highly pleasing to the taste or smell


Welcome to Luscious Low Carb! A place where low carb recipes are the only thing on the menu. A place where you'll find incredibly delicious food that's simple to make and legal to eat on your plan.

So come in, take a seat and enjoy your stay!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Adriana's Low Carb French Onion Soup

One of my favorite dishes to have on the side of a nice juicy steak is French onion soup. Once upon a time my favorite French onion soup was from Outback Steakhouse, but i've decided to come up with my own version which is much lower in carb, has no bread, is much more delicious and I can make it whenever I want for a fraction of the cost! Woop!





Ingredients:

1 medium onion, sliced in strips
1  15 oz can of beef broth or stock (standard can size)
1/2 tsp dried ground thyme
3 tbsp butter
4 oz of Provolone, Gruyere, or Swiss cheese
salt and pepper to taste
4 oven safe ramekins


Directions:

1. Preheat the broiler to high.
2. Heat a medium pot to medium high heat, add the butter until melted.
3. Add the onion to the pot and cook for 15 minutes, until deep golden brown. It is important to keep an eye and keep stirring the onions to prevent them from burning. After 15 minutes add the thyme, salt and pepper. (Go easy on the salt because the beef broth is already salted)
4. Add the beef broth or stock and cover.
5. Simmer on low for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust salt if necessary.
6. Turn off heat and divide soup between 4 oven safe ramekins. Top with one ounce of cheese of choice and place under broiler for 2 minutes until the cheese gets golden and bubbly. Please keep a close eye on the broiler as the cheese can burn very quickly. I placed the ramekins on a cookie sheet for ease of putting in and taking out of the oven.


I used smoked provolone. I got the presliced kind at the grocery store and it was the perfect size to cover the ramekins.

This soup makes a wonderful side to a steak!


Recipe yields 4 servings, each with 3.04 Net carbs

8 comments:

  1. This is terrific! I never knew making something this good would be so easy. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to try this recipe. I love French onion soup and have wanted a lower carb version (I also eat Low carb). Thank You :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, this recipe looks so good. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter's favorite. On the menu next week. Thank you! 😀

    ReplyDelete