Being a Texas girl , I love brisket! But I can't always have it because of the carb count and because who has the time to smoke it for hours and hours! This version I came up with is cooked in the oven. I bought a large brisket and cut it into 2 pound sections, that way I can cook up a batch and not have to wait 12 hours for it to cook and not have a years worth of leftovers.
Please note this recipe can definitely be doubled or tripled which I recommend because even non low carbers will love it!
A 2 lb piece of brisket
Salt and pepper to taste
Adriana's Brisket Rub (recipe follows)
1 batch of Adriana's Low Carb BBQ Sauce
1. Preheat oven to 250 F
2. Season the brisket with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Rub all over with brisket rub and place in a roasting pan or any other deep pan.
4. Cover pan with foil. And place pan in the oven.
5. Cook for 3 hours at this temperature without opening the oven door or removing the foil.
6. After 3 hours take the brisket out of the oven. It should be very tender. Drain any grease in the pan and slice brisket against the grain. place the brisket slices back in the pan and cover with BBQ sauce.
7. Bake uncovered for another 30 minutes.
Serve with my low carb coleslaw, sliced pickles, and onions
*** A few tips about cooking brisket:
1. It is best if your brisket is at room temperature before it goes in the oven.
2. Cooking it on low for a long time ensures you will get a tender ,juicy brisket. In the past I have made the mistake of cooking it on high for a short time and it came out incredibly tough. So make sure you have the time to set it to cook for 3 hours.
3. I have also tried cooking it in the crockpot and it has never come out as good as it does in the oven.
4. I don't like to trim the fat off the brisket because it bastes the meat as it cooks. If you'd like you can trim it after it cooks.
I got 4 large servings of brisket out of this recipe.
Adriana's Brisket Rub
For a 2 pound brisket
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tbsp onion powder
1/2 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tbsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp liquid smoke
Mix all of these ingredients in a little bowl. It will be kind of a moist rub. And rub it all over the brisket before cooking.
Recipe can be doubled or tripled depending on the size of your brisket.